Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Isidor Isaac Rabi on the Culture of Physics

"Quantum mechanics and relativity affected me deeply - personally. It affected my attitude toward the world. I've always thought of physics as a sort of ivory tower, from which you venture forth into all other human affairs, of all kinds. That's why I became a physicist. I could've earned more money as a lawyer...

...With science I felt I could grab on to actual things and try to understand them. And then they turn out to be so extraordinarily mysterious! Newton's laws of motion, the laws of the electromagnetic field, relativity - they're so far removed from experience, but yet there it is. It's a measure of all the other things that I look at. It gives you an approach to the human race, apart from these inherited things of nationality and whatnot, which you can't take very seriously. That's what science was for me - a citadel. I know some place where I can find out things which are so, and not trivial. Far from trivial....

...So relativity can have an enormous effect on how I regard myself in the world. It's hard to communicate to other people who haven't that experience. Since it is, as far as we know, a universal human possibility to investigate nature, and the nature of discoveries is so remarkable, so wonderful - if you want to think of the goal of the human race, there it is. To learn more about the Universe and ourselves. In physics, the newest discoveries, like relativity and the uncertainty relation, uncover new modes of thought. They really open new perspectives."

No comments:

Post a Comment